We’re looking for an intermediate to expert MySQL DBA who can jump right in. We have several offices in Ottawa, Boston, Sydney and Hyderabad, India.
Working at Pythian is different than working in-house or as a consultant, because you’ll be making your contributions available to each of the customers assigned to your team, allowing you to see more use cases, more technologies, and work with more and varied environments, all the while building interesting and long-lasting working relationships with your peers. I will gladly sponsor a work visa for the right candidate anywhere in the world.
We support some of the most interesting internet-scale MySQL environments in the world, see http://www.pythian.com/about/customers/ for a sampling of customers across many industries.
* Outstanding MySQL production administration and server tuning skills, bonus points for cluster, partitioning, and major implementation and upgrades experience
* Exceptional troubleshooting, problem-solving and learning skills
* Superior productivity per hour and overall getting-the-job-done-right abilities
* Fluent communication skills in English, both written and oral, are mandatory. Second or third languages are also a plus (we have customers all over the world and are always eager to add a language to our repertoire)
* Stored procedure, trigger, view and nonstandard storage engine experience a plus (such as SoliddDB, the Amazon S3 engine, Falcon, etc.)
* Interest or experience in publications, blogging, and presentations a plus
* Work on an elite team of DBAs for an elite and growing group of customers; you’ll learn more here in a year than in any in-house DBA job no matter how long you stay; this is personally guaranteed by both me and Paul Vallee, founder of the Pythian Group.
* Work and gain valuable experience on every mainstream platform, including AIX, HP/UX, Solaris, Linux, Tru64, Windows, etc. We many not run MySQL on all of those platforms, but we certainly run enterprise infrastructure on one team or another on each of those and more. If you’re interested in technology, there a lot of it in use here and that makes it a great place to be.
* Learn and support every mainstream technology and feature, including cluster, advanced replication, GIS, etc. etc.
* Work across multiple industries including health care, manufacturing, media, dot-com, education, retail, services, and many more.
* Work in a company that values hard work, not long work.
* Work in a company that allows you to research and write articles, presentations and blog posts on company time, and pays for you to present your research at just about any user conference worldwide.
* There is also the obvious opportunity to learn Oracle and SQL Server, if you don’t already know those platforms. We here at Pythian are about the data, first and foremost. However, if you have no desire to work with Oracle and SQL Server, you do not have to.
* Consult for high-profile customers all around the world without leaving the office. This is really the most awesome part; almost any other job on the planet that lets you see this much tech has you traveling like mad. Not us.
Send us an email with a one-paragraph introduction of who you are and why you are exceptional at firstname.lastname@example.org. Feel free to attach your resume in any format — text, Word, PDF, RTF, ODT, whatever makes you happy.
Comments are closed.