We will be submitting the homework via GitHub. The reason for this is to have a centralized place for homework, as well as teaching how to use a revision control system and how to interact specifically with GitHub.
Learn about git at http://git-scm.com/book/en/Getting-Started-Git-Basics (You only need to read this one webpage, no need to go to the next page)
– Create a github account at www.github.com if you do not already have one.
– Install and configure git on your local machine as per https://help.github.com/articles/set-up-git
– Fork the MySQL Marinate repo as per https://help.github.com/articles/fork-a-repo
The URL for the MySQL Marinate repo is https://github.com/Sheeri/mysql-marinate
– To demonstrate that you can submit homework, open and modify the 01Intro/homework.txt file
– Then commit your work locally:
git add 01Intro/homework.txt
– When you’re done, commit your work up to the github server:
git push origin master
When doing homework, remember to commit locally often. I would recommend committing up to the github server whenever you finish a question or a part of a question. Pretend at any time your local machine may die; how much work are you willing to lose? (5 minutes’ worth? 3 days’ worth?) I do not look at individual commits, only the final pull request when you’re done.
When you’re done with your homework, submit a Pull Request as per https://help.github.com/articles/using-pull-requests
If you have trouble and need help, ask away in the comments!